The week in brief
By Hpanchal on April 5, 2013
- The United Arab Emirates Ambassador to the U.S. and Etihad Airways co-hosted a gala dinner (pictured above) April 2 in Washington, D.C. More than 450 guests attended the dinner to celebrate the launch of the airline's new daily service linking Washington, D.C., and Abu Dhabi.
- Volga-Dnepr Technics, a representative of Volga-Dnepr Technics Sub Group in Europe, has launched a new aircraft Wheel and Brake Repair Shop at Leipzig/Halle Airport in Germany. The workshop is located within the airport’s newly-built hangar.
- Swissport International has been certified as Etihad Cargo’s first Preferred Handling Partner. The two-year PHP certification is focused initially on six Etihad Cargo stations: Athens, Geneva, Nairobi, Seoul and Toronto. Over time, Etihad Cargo hopes to expand cargo operations to other destinations with Swissport.
- Jan de Rijk Logistics, a provider of transportation services headquartered in Roosendaal, the Netherlands, has obtained the Good Distribution Practices Certificate, solidifying its existing processes for international road haulage and cross-docking of pharmaceutical products.
- Etihad Airways began daily non-stop flights between Washington Dulles International Airport and Abu Dhabi, one of the fastest-growing trade destinations in the world.
- Hellmann Worldwide Logistics has been invited to join the Sustainable Apparel Coalition, a coalition of leading apparel companies, as the group’s first logistics company. The SAC developed the Higg Index, which helps companies improve long-term sustainability throughout their supply chain.
- Atlas Air Worldwide Holdings, Inc., a global provider of outsourced aircraft and aviation operating solutions, confirmed that Atlas Air, Inc. has taken delivery of its eighth Boeing 747-8 Freighter. Atlas Air will receive one more 787-8F by the end of the second quarter of 2013, completing the delivery of its order for nine aircraft.
- The U-Freight Group, a Hong-Kong-based international freight and logistics company, has opened a new airport office in Xiamen, China, one of the country's most important commercial centers. U-Freight's Xiamen office has moved to a new location in the Shengtong Centre at Xiamen airport to allow easier access for customers and staff.
- Air Seychelles has appointed Asia Airfreight Terminal Co. as its cargo ground handling agent for cargo and documentation services at Hong Kong International Airport. Air Seychelles is based in Mahé, the Republic of Seychelles.
- Aeronautical Engineers, Inc. has been selected by Aeronaves TSM of Mexico to provide two MD82SF 12 pallet passenger-to-freighter conversions. The first aircraft is scheduled to be inducted for conversion in June at AEI's Authorized Conversion Center, Commercial Jet, Inc. in Miami.
- DHL Supply Chain is the first logistics provider to hold a Veterinarian Representative Pharmaceutical Warehouse, a license to store and handle animal health products in Turkey. With this license, DHL Supply Chain Turkey will provide authorized warehousing and value-added services such as labeling and secondary packaging for the animal health products licensed by the Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Livestock.