The week in brief
- Volga-Dnepr Airlines (pictured above) has renewed its IATA Operational Safety Audit certificate for the fourth time. The audit included a compliance check for 950 IOSA requirements and was conducted over a five-day period by representatives of Quali-audit in France. As part of the certification process, they performed a detailed review and inspection of Volga-Dnepr Airlines’ key areas of activity.
- DHL shipped the latest generation of the Mercedes S-Class to its international premiere in Hamburg. Transported straight from the Mercedes-Benz plant in Stuttgart, Germany, the luxury sedan was flown in an A300-600 DHL freight aircraft. The car had a special camouflage system to make sure the operation’s stringent security requirements were met.
- MASkargo named Schenker Logistics as the highest tonnage contributor for the fourth consecutive year at its annual Megatonners Awards in Malaysia. The runner-up was Nippon Express and third place went to DHL Global Forwarding.
- Hong Kong International Airport reported that cargo throughput in April reached 342,000 tonnes, up 4.5 percent compared to April 2012. Higher cargo throughput in April was the result of a 5 percent year-over-year growth in exports. During the month, cargo throughput to and from Southeast Asia and Taiwan outperformed other key regions.
Rossiya Russian Airlines
- LUG aircargo handling has added Rossiya Russian Airlines (pictured left) to its Munich customer portfolio effective June 1.
- Cargolux Airlines took delivery of its second Boeing 747-8 freighter aircraft for 2013. It is the eighth delivery for Cargolux of this new generation wide-body freighter since 2011.
- DHL Express has been entered in the Guinness Book of World Records for performing the largest pizza delivery in history for Pizzas 4 Patriots, a non-profit organization. Since 2008, DHL Express and Pizzas 4 Patriots have joined forces to bring pizza to U.S. troops serving overseas. In July 2012, DHL Express donated its services to deliver 30,000 pizzas from Chicago to U.S. troops serving in Kandahar, Bagram and Camp Bastion in Afghanistan. The delivery, covering a distance of more than 6,800 miles within 36 hours, was recognized by the Guinness Book of World Records in April 2013 as the largest pizza delivery.
- Heavyweight Air Express Limited has been awarded an exclusive global cargo GSSA contract with Nas Air, an airline based in Saudi Arabia.
- A Boeing 747-8 Intercontinental successfully completed its first test flight with a package of performance improvements, including enhanced GE engines. This package is designed to improve the aircraft’s fuel efficiency.
Penske Truck Leasing
- Penske Truck Leasing held a grand opening event in Phoenix to introduce a new facility (pictured right). The $6-million building provides full-service truck leasing, consumer and commercial truck rental and contract truck fleet maintenance services. The 24,000-square-foot structure features five truck service bays, an automated wash bay and a three-lane commercial truck fuel island.
- Finnair Cargo will add more freight capacity on its Brussels route June 6. In addition to the MD-11 freighter service between Helsinki and Brussels on Saturdays and Sundays, Finnair’s Brussels passenger flight on Thursday mornings will now be flown with an Airbus A340 aircraft.
- CHAMP Cargosystems and Leisure Cargo are celebrating the 20th anniversary of their partnership this month. The air cargo management expert signed its first contract with CHAMP in 1993.
- Etihad Airways and KLM Royal Dutch Airlines have entered the second phase of their strategic partnership following the launch of Etihad’s flights to Amsterdam. The daily service, operated by an Airbus A330-200, was launched in May and carries KLM’s KL code.
- China Airlines will launch direct flights to Hawaii on June 2, becoming the first airline in Taiwan to offer non-stop flights to Honolulu. In addition to expanding its Hawaii services, China Airlines will also increase flights to Bangkok; Nanchang, China; Fukuoka, Japan; and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia this summer.
This entry was posted in Air Cargo World News
. Bookmark the permalink