The week in brief
Leipzig/Halle Airport's cargo volumes grew slightly in the first half of 2014.
- Freight volumes at Leipzig/Halle Airport in Germany continued to grow slightly. Between January and June, 442,109 tonnes were handled, a growth rate of 0.9 percent year over year. The number of aircraft movements rose by 5.5 percent to 30,552 during the first half of the year.
- LAN Airlines and its affiliates announced that beginning in August, five of the company’s existing routes will gradually begin to be operated by a new fleet of Boeing 787 aircraft. The change in product will modernize service from Santiago to Miami; Punta Cana, Dominican Republic; Cancun, Mexico City and Sao Paulo, Guarulhos.
- United Cargo expanded its service for temperature-sensitive shipments by adding two cities in India – Delhi and Mumbai – to its TempControl network. The service is available for import and export shipment in Delhi, and for import shipments into Mumbai.
- Air France awarded a five-year cargo and mail handling contract to Worldwide Flight Services (WFS) at Paris-Orly Airport. This is the fifth cargo contract awarded by the airline to WFS in France in the last 12 months, following Nice, Bordeaux, Strasbourg and Marseille.
- Aeronautical Engineers, Inc. (AEI) delivered the third of five B737-400SF freighters to Southern Air, who will operate for DHL Express in the Americas. The B737-400SF was converted at Commercial Jet’s Dothan, Ala., facility. This is AEI’s 13th of the anticipated more than 30 freighters to be delivered in 2014.
- Famous Pacific Shipping Group, an independent forwarder and consolidator network, appointed two more members to its system. Light Shipping Lines (LSL) became the FPS member for Morocco. LSL is a multi-modal forwarder, active in oceanfreight, airfreight and road transport. In Singapore, FPS appointed FP Shipping as network member. FP Shipping’s main business is ocean consolidation, but it plans to develop airfreight and sea-air business opportunities.
- Dimerco Express Group, a Taiwan-based global logistics provider, launched Straits Continental Logistics Co., Ltd. This is a joint venture with its partner Straits International Pte. Ltd. in Cambodia. Dimerco also received full ownership of the three Australian subsidiaries in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.
- American Airlines Cargo began offering full cargo service to and from San Antonio, Texas.
- The International Air Cargo Association (TIACA) appointed Amar More, senior vice president, Kale Logistics, to its board. More will work with the TIACA team to help achieve a wider adoption of E-freight across the airfreight industry.
- Independent specialist advisers Drewry and global forwarder network The WACO System expanded their cooperation agreement to include exchanging and sharing market intelligence in the air cargo market.
- Ireland is the latest country in logistics company SEKO Logistics’ European network to achieve full certification as an Authorized Economic Operator (AEO). The AEO accreditation standard issued by customs administrators in the European Union certifies that a business has met the required standards in relation to its security and management systems.